[This marble fireplace was the source for the Header, dividers, and Footer for these webpages.]

Mrs. Eddy’s Chair

The words on the brass plaque on the chair are:

“Two reader’s desks and three platform chairs were presented in 1897 to First Church of Christ, Scientist, Concord, NH by Mary Baker Eddy, Discoverer and Founder of Christian Science and author of Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures and used in Christian Science Hall, Concord until the erection of the church edifice in 1904 when, with Mrs. Eddy’s consent, they were purchased by First Church of Christ, Scientist, Orange, NJ.  This chair was designed for and used by Mrs. Eddy.”

Marble Divider shorter

crown best 50 cropt

This brass cross and crown was a gift to this church and was made in Germany.

(Now that it has recently been polished, the details are now quite clear.)
When it was found that the crown used in the emblem was not a crown but a princely (as opposed to kingly) form known as a coronet and therefore possessing no religious significance when combined with the cross, the coronet was changed to a celestial or Christian’s crown. An announcement about this was published in the June 1908 issue of The Christian Science Journal .
The design was slightly modernized in 1971. (www.marybakereddylibrary.org/ research/crossandcrown)

“The only real difference between the original seal and this new one is that the crown now used is what is known in heraldry as a celestial crown, whereas the one formerly used was a coronet and possessed  no significance when combined with the cross.  The celestial crown, or as it is sometimes called, Christians’ crown, is the one described in Revelation and it always has been emblematic of the triumphant life of the saints and martyrs.  It can readily be seen that this crown is the one which should be used in connection with what has now come to be known as the Christian Science seal and our Leader in her desire to have the seal made truly emblematic of what it stands for requested that the change be made.”   From an article by Archibald McLellan

There is another cross and crown in our church that has this coronet crown and that is in the center of the rose window.  Since our church was built in 1904, the older cross and crown emblem was used prior to the change to the Christian’s crown.   (see Other Edifice Windows in link above) 

 

This clock was sent from Pleasant View by Mrs. Eddy to be on the fireplace mantle in Christian Science Hall.

 

clock sm

The brass parts of the clock have been polished recently.

Marble Footer shorter